Monday, March 8, 2010



Well here we are at the start of another week. The once in a blue moon hailstorms on the weekend that blasted Melbourne largely passed by the shed - though there is water damage in a few areas. If it had been hit by the lemon sized hail that hit other suburbs I dont think we would have been so lucky.....

Anyway, the auction date has been set, and it means working harder and faster to clear the place out.

Is it really such a big place?  Well heres the latest pics !

So I scrambled up one of the numerous ladders around today and took a shot of the back half of the shed - a lot has gone but there's still loads to go !


Looking over my shoulder at the rows behind me.....what is all that stuff ????????

And down to my right - that door is the roller door for the carport......



This is the phone bits aisle - also now train air brake aisle and various other bits of total randomness... this is where most of the water got in and a number of larger boxes have fallen  = big cleanup ahead....

Looking down the main aisle - there is some space at last !  Moved a load of old rusted bits n bolts off to the scrapyard to be recycled - no point in hanging on to those things.....though I do feel a bit funny about  doing it, given the history etc etc....


Wall that forms part of the carport....

Aisle directly across from last pic, home to many aircraft parts.....


Dont even start me on this - left by other "collectors" and just tossed into the worst pile possible.....but you still find the odd gem !

And to round out this report, have a look at this for some serious phone exchange stuff....



Four of these and they weigh a ton !  I'm curious as to what they are in terms of the exchange. I won't be able to eBay them unless someone is happy to pick up as they are just too heavy...

Actually after a glass of red I feel more energised (poor you, dear reader !) so heres some things I found today

Boring old bolts right? Well, maybe not. The top one is an Ajax Carriage Bolt and the bottom is a group of Nettlefold ConeHead Rivets. The Ajax is Cadmium Plated - and as far as I can tell , and based on its location in the shed, are all for aircraft....


Onto phone items and these appear to be bells - the first two pics are the same unit, while the third pic is a unit with a much heavier handle on top.....any help?

No idea again, but the black enamel is nice on the base......


Lots of people have been asking if I had found any jack points - today I finally found four !  The red one matched the size of the jacks I have been putting up on eBay ( and I also found another 50 odd patchbays from different eras today)

These appear to be older jacks for an exchange - they must almost certainly be copper casings as they are heavier than the more modern ones.....nice looking too!





Yup you guessed it ----- absolutely no idea  !!!!!!  There are fuses, a condenser, nice looking cog, a bell and four buttons on top.....nope, still no closer to solving this one !


OK I promise thats it for now.....By the end of the week I think we will have made a significant impact on clearing to the scrapyards of all the rusted and broken items...

PS - this will make you weep - it certainly made me! My brother ran into a military dealer at a local market on the weekend - he recounted how he had been to the shed a few years back and picked up 100 WWI trench periscopes for $8 each. So thats $800 he paid for them.......they are worth $500 each.......I dont want to even think about that.......!!!!

Till next time !
















No comments:

Post a Comment